Japanese microsatellite developer Axelspace has raised JPY2.6 billion ($24 million) in Series C funding from a group of domestic VCs, including Sparx Group.
NSSK has agreed to acquire the power transmission components division of Fujikura, a listed Japanese electrical equipment manufacturer.
SoftBank Group has increased its commitment to Vision Fund 2 from $10 billion to $30 billion after a revival in the fortunes of Vision Fund 1 meant the company returned to profit over the past 12 months.
Korean mid-market private equity firm VIG Partners has acquired 100% of The Skin Factory, operator of domestic home and personal care products brand Kundal.
IMM Private Equity’s recently established credit unit has launched a KRW400 billion ($353 million) Korea-focused fund that will invest in components for electric vehicle (EV) batteries and other environmentally friendly industrial materials.
Radish, a Korea and US-based mobile fiction platform, will be acquired by a unit of Kakao Corporation for $440 million. Its backers include SoftBank Ventures Asia and Kakao.
Japan’s Infinity Ventures has teamed up with US and Europe-based E.ventures as well as its Brazilian affiliate Redpoint Eventures to form a global VC under the name Headline.
IMM Private Equity has made the first investment under its newly launched credit strategy, picking up a 40% stake in SK Lubricants, which is controlled by Korean conglomerate SK Group, for KRW1.09 trillion ($984 million).
Japanese engineering conglomerate JGC Group has teamed up with local VC Global Brain to establish a JPY5 billion ($46 million) fund targeting industrial sector technology start-ups.
Bain Capital has teamed up with two Japanese PE firms – Japan Industrial Partners (JIP) and Japan Industrial Solutions (JIS) – to carve out Hitachi Metals from its corporate parent for as much as JPY816.8 billion ($7.5 billion).
Rising Japan Equity, a domestic private equity firm, has agreed to sell Progress, a staffing and contracting services provider, to listed staffing solutions business UT Group for JPY3.09 billion ($28.6 million).
Bain Capital has closed its first dedicated Japan private equity fund with JPY110 billion ($1.01 billion) in commitments.
Japan’s J-Star has exited a 20% stake in Aki-Japan, an employee training service provider for the local construction sector. It leaves the private equity firm with an 80% position.
The automotive industry’s VC overtures might be in retrograde, but traditional carmakers are finding new ways to make a mark in mobility innovation. This creates new dynamics for financial investors
Japanese venture capital firm Samurai Incubate has closed its second Africa-focused fund above target at just over JPY2.02 billion ($18.6 million).
Korean internet company Kakao Corporation has spun out its fashion e-commerce business as an independent entity and merged it with Zigzag, a VC-backed local fashion marketplace.
KKR has contributed JPY4 billion ($37 million) to a JPY6.6 billion funding round for Netstars, a Japanese QR code payment gateway operator. SIG and Lun Partners, a Hong Kong-based global financial technology investor, also took part.
Partners Group is set to generate a 5x return on the sale of its 45% stake in GlobalLogic to Hitachi as momentum in corporate digital transformation makes the IT services player a hot commodity
New York makes an unexpected reappearance as the preferred IPO destination for Asian companies; the growth-stage tech investment revival continues; KKR lights up lackluster fundraising environment
Coupang’s bumper IPO has underlined the appeal of a Korean e-commerce industry characterized by chaebols playing catch-up and PE and VC investors looking to profit at the margins
Affirma Capital has reached a first close of KRW443 billion ($403 million) on its fifth Korea-focused fund, while simultaneously announcing a $181 million investment in SK Telecom’s mobility business.
Toshiba Corporation has confirmed it received a buyout offer from CVC Capital Partners. Based on a reported valuation of $20 billion, it would be the largest acquisition by a private equity firm in Asia.
Japan’s YJ Capital, recently rebranded as Z Venture Capital (ZVC), has launched a JPY30 billion ($274 million) following a merger with Line Ventures.
L Catterton has invested JPY20 billion ($182 million) in PHC Holdings Corporation, a Japanese healthcare business – formerly known as Panasonic Healthcare – backed by KKR.